We are grateful to these caring and talented individuals for making our patients more comfortable, our hospital more productive, and our days a little brighter. Each year, more than 200 compassionate individuals provide more than 30,000 hours of service. Following are ways you can become involved.
You may volunteer to work with patients directly or support our staff in non-patient settings.
Opportunities to volunteer with patients include:
- Assist patients with feeding at meal times (SPOONS)
- Work in Select Patient Care Units or The Emergency Department
- Assist Outpatient Services
- Provide Patient Transport Services
- Distribute Books and Crafts
- Certified Pet Therapy Program
- Infant Cuddle Program
- Patient Fall Safety Program
Opportunities to volunteer in a non-patient setting include:
- Support various Business Offices or the Volunteer Office
- Assist at the Thrift Shop (located in Nyack)
- Assist at the Gift Shop in the Hospital
- Work in Non-Clinical Departments
- Assist at the Guest Services Desk
Volunteer positions do not include the ability to shadow physicians, take vital signs, or observe procedures. Assignments are based on individual interests, skills, and the needs of Nyack Hospital. Morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend positions are available.
Adult Volunteer Requirements
All Nyack Hospital volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- Be interviewed by the Volunteer Department.
- Volunteers aged 18 and older must meet mandatory health requirements, supply references, and pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
- Must have the ability to communicate well in English. Second language skills are a plus.
- Must have a social security number.
- Purchase a volunteer uniform jacket for $15.
- Maintain confidentiality and adhere to hospital policies.
- Have the ability to follow directions, work independently, and meet the requirements of the position.
- Volunteers are expected to maintain a positive outlook and be willing to help as needed.
To make the volunteer experience the best it can be for our volunteers, staff, and those we serve, we require a minimum of a six-month commitment, which includes at least 100 hours of service.
We know that our volunteers aren’t seeking rewards for their service, but we are happy to recognize and thank our volunteers for their important work in a variety of ways, including:
- An annual volunteer recognition luncheon
- Awards based on hours of service
- Complimentary meals in the hospital cafeteria (for four hour shifts or longer)
- Free parking while volunteering
Become a Volunteer Today
To start the application process, download the appropriate form and follow the instructions.
Summer VolunTEEN Program
Our summer VolunTEEN Program gives students between the ages of 14 and 17 the opportunity to contribute to the community and gain valuable volunteer experience. The program is limited to 50 participants who are chosen through an application and interview process; due to the overwhelming response, we can not hire all students. We only offer a summer program (no volunteering during the school year).
The VolunTEEN program runs for six weeks from July to August; applications are accepted from January 1 through March 31. To apply, please read the following details carefully and click the link below for an application.
- You must be at least 14 years of age by July 1 to participate.
- The program fee is $30, which includes a volunteer uniform shirt.
- All students must receive a T.B. test administered by the Hospital’s Employee Health Services (EHS) office at no cost. All students must be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older to receive the test.
- Teens must provide a copy of their immunization records at time of EHS appointment (do not attach to the application).
VolunTEEN Time Commitment
Before submitting an application, please carefully consider whether your summer schedule can accommodate the required time commitment detailed below. Discussion of any vacation, job, or summer camp plans will be part of your interview.
- All participants must volunteer at least twice a week or more, over a six-week period.
- All participants must commit to at least 48 hours.
- All accepted volunteers must attend a two-hour volunteer orientation session at the start of the program.
- All volunteers must be available during standard business hours. Weekend and evening hours are not available.
If you meet the above requirements, please complete the on-line VolunTEEN Program application by clicking this link: VolunTEEN Application.
You will receive emails regarding the status of your application.
We hope you will join us for the new VolunTEEN Program at Nyack Hospital. We look forward to meeting you!
For more information about any of our Volunteer Programs, please call 845-348-2181.