We are grateful to these caring and talented individuals for making our patients more comfortable, our hospital more productive, and our days a little brighter. Each year, more than 200 compassionate individuals provide more than 30,000 hours of service.
You may volunteer to work with patients directly or support our staff in non-patient settings.
Opportunities to volunteer with patients include:
- Sunshine Visitors Program: Visiting and offering support to patients and assisting them with their needs.
- Work in select Patient Care Units or the Emergency Department
- Provide Patient Transport Services
- Distribute books, magazines, playing cards, crayons and coloring books
- Certified Pet Therapy Program (you and your dog need to be certified)
- Infant Cuddler Program (currently filled)
- Refreshment Cart: Offering hot and cold beverages and snacks to patients and families
- Assemble and distribute inpatient personnel comfort kit
- Patient escort from Radiology to Same Day Surgery on the Hospital's 5th floors
Opportunities to volunteer in a non-patient setting include:
- Support various Business Offices or the Volunteer Office
- Assist in family waiting rooms
- Assist at the Thrift Shop (located offsite in Nyack)
- Assist at the Gift Shop in the Hospital
- Work in Non-Clinical Departments
Assignments are based on individual interests, skills, and the needs of Nyack Hospital. Morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend positions are available.
Requirements for Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteers must be willing to commit to at least 150 hours of service over a six month period (for students—at least 72 hours during the summer). To ensure that volunteer time is productive, volunteers should be able to work at least four hours per session.
Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age. We welcome high school students, baby boomers, seasoned professionals, young retirees, and older adults.
All volunteers are carefully screened and thoroughly trained to ensure the safety and privacy of our patients. Volunteers must complete an application—mail, fax or online (preferred), have a health screening, TB Test, drug screen, Flu shot (seasonal), and background check (all provided by the hospital). If you are 18 years old or older you must come into the hospital for an interview. Interviews are by appointment only.
We hope you will consider this unique opportunity to assist our patients and staff and to become part of the team of volunteers at Nyack.
Become a Volunteer Today
If you meet the above requirements, please complete an online application. Click this link “Online Volunteer Application”, select the Adult/College Student (for Adults 18 years and older) form, and fill out online. You will receive emails confirming receipt. Applications are now being accepted for the coming summer. Adult applicants can also click this link “PDF Volunteer Application” to obtain an application in printable PDF format.
Mail to: Volunteer Office, Nyack Hospital, 160 North Midland Avenue, Nyack, NY 10960 or Fax: 845-348-2183.
Summer VolunTEEN Program (Program for 2018 is now CLOSED due to the overwhelming number of applicants.) Thank you for your interest. Please visit again in 2019.
Before submitting an application, please carefully consider whether your summer schedule can accommodate the required time commitment detailed below. Discussion of any vacation, job, or summer camp plans will be part of your interview.
- You must be at least 14 years to 17 years of age by July 1 to participate
- The program fee is $30 (check only), which includes a volunteer uniform shirt and a complimentary daily meal.
- Teens must provide a copy of their immunization records at time of EHS appointment (do not attach to the application).
- All participants must volunteer at least three times a week or more, over a seven-week period.
- All participants must commit to at least 72 hours over the above seven-week period.
- All volunteers must be available during standard business hours. Weekend and evening hours are not available.
- Submit a completed teacher’s recommendation form.
If you meet the above requirements, please complete the online application. Click this link “Online Volunteer Application”, select the VolunTEEN form, and fill out online.
You may apply now for the coming summer. You will receive an initial email confirming receipt of your application, but you won’t be contacted about the program until March.
We hope you will join us for the new VolunTEEN Program at Nyack Hospital. We look forward to meeting you!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Nyack Hospital. We will review your volunteer application and contact you to schedule an interview with our Director of Volunteer Services. Please note that if we are at volunteer applicant capacity, you will be placed on our waitlist. We will contact you as soon as there are openings.