Classes and Support Groups Sponsored by the American Cancer Society
All of the following programs are offered by or have been endorsed by the American Cancer Society. For more information about any of the programs below, please call the American Cancer Society at 800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
- Reach to Recovery: This program enables breast cancer patients to talk one-on-one with trained volunteers who are also breast cancer survivors about breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Look Good, Feel Better: This free program is designed to help cancer patients with the appearance-related side effects of treatment. Professional makeup artists and trained volunteers help participants adjust to hair loss, skin and nail changes, and other health and beauty issues. Classes are available at Nyack Hospital’s Cancer Center.
- Road to Recovery: This program provides free rides to and from treatment for people with cancer who do not have transportation.
For a full list of classes and support groups at Nyack Hospital, click here.
Other classes and support groups include:
- Breast Cancer Support Group: This monthly group, hosted by Gilda's Club of Westchester at Nyack Hospital's Cancer Center, is facilitated by a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and offers support during and after treatment, to ease the emotional burden that comes with a breast cancer diagnosis. Hear how others are learning to deal and cope with everyday life, relationships, family and friends. It is an opportunity to connect with others with a similar diagnosis to learn share and gain support. This group meets once-a-month on the first Monday of the month.
- Living With Cancer Support Group: Hosted by Gilda's Club of Westchester at Nyack Hospital's Cancer Center, this weekly group is facilitated by a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and provides an ongoing opportunity for men and women with any cancer diagnosis to discuss the impact of cancer on their lives, normalize their range of feelings, and explore and share coping strategies. This group meets once-a-week on Tuesdays.
- Yoga for Cancer Patients: Open to all patients/survivors of cancer, this free program is taught by Certified Yoga Instructors with advanced cancer training. The class includes restorative and adaptive techniques, which focus on stress reduction and relaxation. Participants will explore yoga as a pathway toward healing on all levels. Mats, props and chairs are provided. A prescription from a physician is required to participate.
Additional Online Resources, click here.