Become a Volunteer
Each year more than 200 compassionate individuals volunteer at Nyack Hospital, providing more than 30,000 hours of valued service throughout the hospital.
Our volunteers are warm, caring and talented adults and students who make a true difference in the lives of our patients, their families and our staff.
Volunteering at Nyack Hospital offers an opportunity to develop new skills, make friends, explore a career in health care, and gain relevant work experience.
Volunteer opportunities include:
Direct Patient Contact
Opportunities with patients include assisting in:
- Select patient Care Units
- Emergency Department
- Outpatient Services
- Escort Services
- Book and Art Carts
- Pet Therapy
Little or No Patient Contact
Volunteers with little or no patient contact help in settings such as:
- Business Offices
- Thrift Shop
- Volunteer Office
- Non Clinical Departments
- Guest Services Desk
Volunteer positions do not include the ability to shadow nurses, doctors and clinicians, take vital signs or observe procedures. Assignments are based on individual interests, skills, and the needs of Nyack Hospital. Morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend positions are available.
- You must be at least 14 years of age or 16 years of age to work directly with patients.
- All volunteers will be interviewed by the Volunteer Director.
- Volunteers aged 18 and older must fulfill mandatory health requirements, pass a criminal background check and drug screening and supply references. Volunteers under the age of 18 must have medical approval from their physician.
- Have the ability to communicate well in English (second language skills are a plus)
- Attend a two-hour volunteer orientation class held late afternoons
- Purchase a volunteer uniform
- Maintain confidentiality and adhere to hospital policies
- Ability to follow directions and meet the requirements of the position
- Work independently with minimal supervision
- Maintain a positive outlook and willingness to help as needed.
To make the volunteer experience the best it can be for our volunteers, staff and those we serve, we require a minimum of a six month commitment, which includes at least 100 hours of service during that time period.
Benefits of Volunteering
At Nyack Hospital Volunteers are recognized in a variety of ways:
Please note our 2014 Summer Volunteer program is full.
- An annual volunteer recognition luncheon
- Special awards based on your hours of service
- Student summer lunch get together
- A complimentary meal in the hospital cafeteria (for four hour or longer shifts)
- Free parking area while volunteering
Thank you for your interest in volunteering, please check back in September.
Adult and College Student Application 18 and older
Junior Academic Volunteer Application 14-17 years old
For additional information please contact:
160 North Midland Avenue
Nyack, NY 10960